Salmorejo is a very thick version of red gazpacho, there are different ways to make it and this one is quite particular because it has oranges. I got the recipe from a friend from Jaén and she got it from a friend from Córdoba, which is the province of Andalusia where Salmorejo comes from, so it's really authentic!
- 1 Kg. Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
- 125 Ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Orange, chopped
- 1 egg
- 150 gr 1 day old white bread, soaked
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tb Spoon Pimentón de la Vera (Smoked Spanish Paprika)
- Salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients together using a blender or food processor.
Strain it through a chinoise strainer and keep it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
In the meantime you can prepare the topping.
- Jamón Serrano cut into strips
- Diced Hard Boiled Egg
- Diced Orange